The role of mechanical engineers in rebuilding the world post-pandemic is really crucial. While the world experiences new normal, industries are moving ahead in adopting new technologies like Machine learning, Artificial Intelligent and ARVR for assembly to cope with the new needs of the world. There is no doubt that Mechanical engineering defines engineering, it is a classic stream and there will always be a demand for it towards the human comfort. With emerging technology, there will be a lot of opportunities in the future industries. Mechanical engineering will be there to stay extensively. While there is a lot of scope for Mechanical Engineers, this read-up will focus on the length and breadth of course of action or recommendation for any Mechanical Engineering student.
What is Mechanical Engineering?
Mechanical Engineering is a field aims to design, analyze, manufacture, and maintain various mechanical systems. Mechanical engineering is considered to be wider in subjective and oldest of all engineering disciplines by age. The core principles of Mechanical Engineering combined with modern tools like 3D printing , Data Science, Industry Internet of Things ( IIoT) intelligent and smarter named as Industry 4.0.
Increasing demand and scope for Mechanical Engineers
Looking forward, there will 9% increase in the total employment of mechanical engineers by 2024 compared to the past decade. The space of Mechanical engineering is unlimited and it is not limited to just manufacturing huge types of machinery and equipment. While the technology getting updated every second, there are several domains opening up for the mechanical engineers to take up! Some of the domains are 3D printing, nanotechnology, newer materials, Machine learning, Artificial Intelligent and ARVR, PLM, New Product development, CAE, Lean & 6 sigma and many more.
Various streams in Mechanical engineering
There are various interdisciplinary streams of Mechanical Engineering. Following are some of them.
- 3D printing is one of the disruptive technologies of mechanical engineering which as an application of in the field of consumer products to health care industries. This stream completely focuses on design and development of parts / product.
- Augmented reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) bridge the digital and physical worlds. They allow you to take in information and content visually, in the same way you take in the world. AR dramatically expands the ways our devices can help with everyday activities like searching for information, shopping, and expressing yourself. VR lets you experience what it’s like to go anywhere — from the front row of a concert to distant planets in outer space.
- Robotics is the subdomain of this stream of engineering that includes mechanical engineering, electrical and computer science engineering that completely focus on the design and development of robotic systems along with computers to take control over these robots. With the AI revolution already in place, Robotics has a great scope in the upcoming decade.
Industry 4.0 : AI&ML &IIoT
- Industry 4.0 refers to the introduction of digital technologies and development of skills, resources and high-tech for the evolution of Industrial Factories. The concepts of Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML) and its applications in Industry 4.0 are popular among researchers. Further development is crucial to the future of the Industry.Several industrial applications are being designed and deployed using AI and ML. Besides, numerous researchers from diversified domains are working towards the amalgamation of these technologies. Different types of industries and research outputs require to work in Industry 4.0 platforms, including the use and integration of AI, ML, Big Data and the Internet of Things (IoT). Therefore, there is an urgent need to develop future-proof types of AI and ML applications, services, architectures and proofs-of-concept.
- Mechanical engineers are also having a rich prospect in the nanotechnology field in addition to the automotive, automation, and robotics field. There is always a considerable overlapping between nanotechnology and mechanical engineering. Electric vehicles and electronics are sure to get benefitted out of the nanotech fibres. In addition to that mechanical engineers are most wanted in the renewable power sector where they harness nanomaterial for storing excess solar energy and of course in the field of bio-medicine, the role of mechanical engineers plays a greater role.
Jobs offer for Mechanical Engineers
- It is sure that this industry has witnessed a lot of innovations and discoveries. Right from flying cars to reusable satellites, the technology is progressive and so is the demand for mechanical engineers. Various job roles are available from designing to testing for mechanical engineers. There is always a great chance for mechanical engineers to employ the principles of physics to dynamics and aero modelling to mend the design and efficiency of systems.
- Automobile industry is one of the rapidly growing industries which offer mechanical engineers, numerous job opportunities. With the advancement in technology like driverless cars, bullet trains, and pod-based transportation, there involve great talents, right from design to maintenance of motor vehicles. There are top automobile brands those recruiting mechanical engineers that involve massive research and development.
- Mechanical engineers in the chemicals industry are more responsible to deliver reliable solutions and offer technical support which includes various automated production like pipe works, conveyors, industrial valves, and many more.
- Even in the construction industry, there is a significant role to be played by mechanical engineers like designing and manufacturing ventilation ducts, smoke ventilation systems, and air conditioning ducts installed in buildings ranging from offices, hospitals, shopping malls, and even in railway stations.
- It is one of the more responsible industries for mechanical engineers in the design of aircraft, and other militant types of machinery. It includes 3D modeling, equipment analysis, structural integrity, and much more. This also includes land, air, and sea defense.
Thermal & Steel plants
- With greater scope for thermodynamics and manufacturing in place, mechanical engineers are sure to grab job opportunities in thermal and steel plants.
It is evident that you will not only find mechanical engineers in just manufacturing industry but also in various industries including IT enabled engineering services with high compensation packages for skilled mechanical engineering students.
Making a career choice is really a crucial part. So is the choice of institution to complement that decision. Few key parameters to look for while choosing a college for Mechanical engineering are the accreditation of the college, job placements, curriculum, infrastructure, industrial training, and internship offers. MCET shapes engineering students to aspire to become leaders of tomorrow. You will experience a blend of practical and theoretical learning coupled with industrial interaction.